What the NAOPV does
OPVs have a crucial role in providing a friendly ear for prisoners. They may be told some very personal details about a prisoner’s life which must remain confidential. OPVs are always non-judgemental and are there to be supportive.
For Official Prison Visitors
- The NAOPV exists to promote, implement and support prison visiting.
- It supports the work of OPVs locally and nationally.
- It is recognised by the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and HM Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS).
- It fosters, supports and co-ordinates the work of NAOPV branches, individual OPVs, Liaison Officers and Prison Chaplains.
However, it should be noted that:
- The NAOPV is not a pressure or political group and OPVs should never seek to put pressure on prison governors or staff.
- The NAOPV is a non faith-based organisation and does not promote any one faith or religion.